#579. Chinatown (1974, Roman Polanski)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: This is a film that I haven't seen in years but has always been an all time favorite.  A recent revisit of Repulsion (1965) and Rosemary's Baby (1968) has compelled me to revisit it.





Running Time: 130 minutes
Directed By: Roman Polanski
Written By: Robert Towne
Primary Cast: Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Huston


Summary: A private detective hired to expose and adulterer finds himself caught up in a web of deceit, corruption and murder.


My Thoughts: Man how on earth did I forget what a masterpiece this is!?  I remember being blown away by it years ago.  This seems even better than ever to me upon a re-watch.  Even though I'm slightly more of a Rosemary's Baby guy when it comes to Roman Polanski films, this is an equally masterful achievement.  It's a film that ages like fine wine.


It's like The Godfather (1972) in the way that it's brilliance is in how masterfully everything comes together.  It has a perfect amount of suspense, intrigue, characterization and heavy atmosphere.  All of this comes together to create a unique mysticism.  The three aspects that particularly make this a masterpiece for me are Roman Polanski's direction, Robert Towne's screenplay and Jack Nicholson's performance.  The direction is classy and smooth and the dialogue is consistently engaging.


As always, Jack Nicholson is the absolute man here as JJ Gittes.  It's one of his more subtle performances.  Although he has his over the top moments (c'mon, it's Jack Nicholson), it's more subtle compared to Jack Torrence (The Shining) and Frank Costello (The Departed).


On this viewing, what I couldn't stop thinking about is just what the title "Chinatown" refers to.  On this viewing, my interpretation is that it's a metaphor for failure and hopelessness.  About a haunted past that one can never fully escape.  This is made all the more powerful by Polanski's cynical vision of LA.  The final ten minutes are really what make this unforgettable.  One of the bleakest and most disturbing endings to a film.  It's a punch in the gut of pure defeat and hopelessness.  It's one you never forget.


It's probably my favorite film noir of all time.  It's immediately what I think of when I think of the genre.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  A masterpiece of the neo-noir genre.  Rejuvenates the noirs of the 1940s-1950s with a New Hollywood twist.


My Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)