#373. Cleo From 5 To 7 (1962, Agnes Varda)




Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing: Upon my French New Wave kick, this is one that I'm awfully intrigued by.  The premise of it being film in real time really fascinates me.  I'm also into the fact that Agnes Varda is the wife of Jacques Demy, who directed The Young Girls Of Rochefort (1967) and The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg (1964), which are both amongst my favorite discoveries upon this journey so far.





Running Time: 90 minutes
Directed By: Agnes Varda
Written By: Agnes Varda
Primary Cast: Corinne Marchand, Antoine Bourseiller, Dominique Davray


Summary: Cleo, a singer and a hypochondriac, becomes increasingly worried that she might have cancer while awaiting test results from her doctor.


My Thoughts: Well this is a lovely film.  I'll admit that it took a moment for me to be swooped by it but, once the magic unravel about 30 minutes in, it really hit me in a good way.  I think I'm going to need to see it again to digest it better but I ultimately loved the unique pacing and overall style.  Just a plain fun slice of life.  French New Wave is a genre that I'm increasingly discovering many gems within and this certainly ranks amongst those. 


Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  An influential French New Wave film.  Unique for the film to flow in real time.  I got some serious Wes Anderson vibes.


My Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)