#61. M (1931, Fritz Lang)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: One of my all time favorites that I haven't seen in years.  Remarkably ahead of its time.  The first serial killer film (and one of the best).





Running Time: 99 minutes
Directed By: Fritz Lang
Written By: Thea Von Harbou, Fritz Lang
Primary Cast: Peter Lorre, Ellen Widmann, Inge Landgut


Summary: When the police in a German city are unable to catch a child murderer, other criminals join in on the manhunt.


My Thoughts: I haven't the faintest idea how something this dark, challenging and bold was made in 1931.  It really hasn't dated at all; it seems so modern.  Unbelievably ahead of its time.  This is, of course, a pioneer in the crime/thriller genre.  It reminds me an awful lot of films like The Silence Of The Lambs (1991) and Zodiac (2007) and really doesn't even seem dated next to them.


Upon a re-watch, I'll admit that I did find it to be a bit slow at times.  Although there weren't scenes that felt unnecessary, I did feel like it dragged a bit on occasion.  Particularly the police procedural scenes in the first hour.  However, at its best, it captivates some truly deep suspense and a very challenging ending.  I also enjoyed watching it simply for a fresh view on how everyday people lived in the early 30's Germany.


Although I love it slightly less upon a rewatch, it's still undeniably a remarkable cinematic achievement.


Does It Belong In The Book?: Absolutely.  A massively influential film that really hasn't dated in the slightest.  Basically the start of the serial killer sub-genre.


My Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)