#983. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014, Wes Anderson)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: This is one I really need to re-watch.  I wasn't as big into Wes Anderson back in 2014 as I am now.  I have a feeling this will be a fantastic viewing.





Running Time: 99 minutes
Directed By: Wes Anderson
Written By: Wes Anderson
Primary Cast: Ralph Fiennes, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amairic


Summary: The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.


My Thoughts: Well this was a great time.   It's a perfect representation of Wes Anderson's one of a kind style.  As with any of his films, the art direction is absolutely mesmerizing.  Makes me feel like I'm at an antique store. 


Although I still consider The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) to be Wes Anderson's greatest achievement (seriously, why isn't that on the list!?), I can definitely understand why this is considered to be his most popular.  I feel like it's the most confident film he has made so far.  All of the unique Wes Anderson tropes are cranked up to 11 here.  Quirky sense of humor, an insanely large cast, Charles Dicken's-esque approach, etc.  It's all here.  While I can't say I was as emotionally engaged by this one as his other films,  the amount of fun I had more than made up for it.  Kind of has a murder mystery vibe to it. 


Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  The best representation of Wes Anderson's style.  I'm a little let down by the fact there are only two Wes Anderson films on the list.  The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) and Moonrise Kingdom (2012) deserve a spot too!


My Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)