#452. Belle De Jour (1967, Luis Bunuel)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: Well I've clearly been on a Catherine Deneuve kick lately.  This is another film starring Deneuve that I'd seen years ago but completely forgot about.  I remember enjoying it but feeling like I needed to see it again.  All of the Bunuel films I'd seen are in dire need of a re-watch.







Running Time: 100 minutes
Directed By: Luis Bunuel
Written By: Luis Bunuel
Primary Cast: Catherine Deneuve, Jean Sorel, Michel Piccoli


Summary: A frigid young housewife decides to spend her midweek afternoons as a prostitute.


My Thoughts: I was completely blown away on this viewing.  It's everything I could possibly ask for in a film; deeply engrossing, intriguing atmosphere, Catherine Deneuve's outstanding presence, I simply never wanted it to end.


I can't imagine anyone else but Catherine Deneuve playing this kind of character.  Her unique beauty, talent and mystique is ultimately what makes this work so well.  I think this is her finest performance.  She is incredibly subtle and fascinating here.


Luis Bunuel is a director I'd completely forgotten about.  This makes me stoked to revisit his work.  I am so fascinated by his unique brand of surrealism here.   It's actually more grounded than how I'd remembered it.  I got some pretty strong Eyes Wide Shut vibes with its subtle surrealism, thematic content and overall pacing.


I am surprised by how much I love this upon a second viewing.  It may not be a flawless film but it's certainly one of my personal favorites.  If The Velvet Underground's Venus In Furs were a film, it would be this one.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Oh absolutely.  A definite and influential piece of surrealism.  Features a master of surrealism at the top of his game as well as Catherine Deneuve's most iconic performance.



My Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)