#601. Jaws (1975, Steven Spielberg)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: Oh man well I love this one.  Haven't seen it in a few years.  Can only imagine it'll be a blast as always.




Running Time: 124 minutes
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Written By: Carl Gottlieb
Primary Cast: Roy Schneider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss


Summary: A local sheriff, a marine biologist and an old seafarer team up to hunt down a great white shark wrecking havoc in a beach resort.


My Thoughts: The birth of the blockbuster.  Based on the premise, it should have been cheesy but it really isn't at all.  The execution is absolutely brilliant and endlessly entertaining.  For me, what really sets this above just about every other blockbuster is how good these characters are.  They have an instantly likable quality to them that makes it feel like an indie drama at times; just with a monster thrown into the mix. 


Really, what sets this to brilliance for me is the characterization.  The dynamics between Brody, Hooper and Quint are fantastic.  Throughout their journey to take down the shark, their personalities clash as they realize the true danger of their target.


This will always be a great film to me.  It scared me as a kid and I now just find it to be awesome.  Great thrills and endlessly entertaining.


Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  The birth of the summer blockbuster


My Rating: 8/10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)