#497. Tristana (1970, Luis Bunuel)



Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing: Well here I am again with another film starring Catherine Deneuve.  I absolutely loved her collaboration with Luis Bunuel in Belle De Jour (1967) so I'm naturally intrigued to see more.  I have no idea what to expect with this one.





Running Time: 99 minutes
Directed By: Luis Bunuel
Written By: Luis Bunuel
Primary Cast: Catherine Deneuve, Fernando Rey, Franco Nero


Summary: Shortly after her mother's death, an innocent and youthful woman will find refuge into the household of her middle-aged aristocratic guardian, who will submit her to his sexual advances. 



My Thoughts:  This basically felt like the younger sibling of Bunuel's own Viridiana.  Even though I like that one better, this one is still quite good.  A very powerful study on the loss of innocence.  As always, Catherine Deneuve is absolutely mesmerizing.   For some reason, I was disappointed to find out her voice was dubbed but hey, it only makes sense considering it's a Spanish film. 


Although I was consistently invested, I can't say it clicked with me in the same way films like Belle De Jour or the aforementioned Viridiana did.  It felt a little more cold and empty.   I felt like it could've had a little more weight or depth to it.  I dunno, maybe some of it just went over my head.  However, I can't say I was ever bored with it.  It's absolutely worth watching at least once. 



Does It Belong In The Book?: Honestly, I'm not too sure about this one.  It's very good and worth watching but I don't see anything too essential about this one.  It felt like a slightly lesser rehash of previous Bunuel films. 




My Rating: 7/10




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)