About Me/My Passion For Film

Hello everybody!  My name is Blake Hall.  I've decided to take on the challenge of watching every film in the 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book by Steven Schneider.




I am 24 years old and live in Knoxville, Tennessee.  My hobbies primarily consist of music, cycling, hiking and, most of all, film.    I've had a strong passion for film since I was 9.   It all began when my father took me to a Books A Million store where I stumbled upon a book that is a film encyclopedia.  It goes in depth on some of the most important people involved in the medium.   It also includes images of all kinds of films (and let's face it, it was the images that intrigued my 9 year old self).  It was my gateway to learning about plenty of films throughout world history as well as prominent actors, directors, etc.  Looking back, I really have no idea what compelled me to it in the first place but I am forever glad it happened.   Growing up, I was in love with films such as Back To The Future, The Shining, Jaws and Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.  However, it wasn't until my sophomore year of high school that I was discovering the films that have shaped my current taste in film.  The ones that made the strongest impact on me (and continue to do so) include Pulp Fiction, A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver and There Will Be Blood.


My primary motives for doing this are to further expose myself to all kinds of cinema, ranging from films I've never heard of to films I've been meaning to watch.  Hopefully this blog can encourage others to check out some awesome hidden gems out there.  I'm also looking to sharpen my writing and analytical/critical skills throughout this journey.


The way I intend to do this is to put all 1,001 films on a self made list and use a random number generator to select the film I will be watching.  I think approaching this in order would be way too tedious.  The films of the 1910s and 1920s are going to be intimidating for me.   I also intend to do a write up for every film I watch.  I won't be disregarding any films just because I'd already seen it (which I counted about 350).  My reasoning for this is because I'm sure I will be adapting a greater understanding of where many of my favorite films are coming from and I want to at least attempt to understand the value of films I didn't understand or enjoy on initial viewing.


I'm fully aware this is an absurdly ambitious project and it will take years to complete.  I'm very interested to see how all of this goes (and in all honesty, how long I will actually last).  I predict that my pace will be about 2 to 3 films per week.  Despite these ambitions, it is important to me that I do not become too consumed by this.  I intend to pace it to where I can still allow plenty of time to focus on other hobbies, further career aspirations and quality time with loved ones.


Anyways, I've always wanted to do something like this.  I thank all of you greatly for taking the time to read through this epic cinematic exploration that I'm embarking on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)