#491. Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, 1969)




Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: This is one that I feel like is going to hit me hard on this viewing.  I really enjoyed it on my last viewing but felt that a re-watch is due.  Now that I've been particularly fascinated by French New Wave's influence on New Hollywood, this one seems right up my alley.




Running Time: 95 minutes
Directed By: Dennis Hopper
Written By: Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper
Primary Cast: Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson


Summary: Two counterculture bikers travel from Los Angeles to New Orleans in search of America.


My Thoughts: Wow did this viewing strike a chord with me.  I had only seen it once when I was younger but this viewing came just at the right time for me.  As someone who is particularly fascinated by culture and arts of the late 60s, I really don't think I could ask for a better countercultural cinematic experience.  It candidly captures a time when the world was boiling with a new sense of freedom and change.   It masterfully captures how various people were responding to this.  The cinematography is breathtaking, the soundtrack is awesome and I simply felt like I could hang out with these characters endlessly.  The laid back Peter Fonda, the insane Dennis Hopper and a quirky young Jack Nicholson make for a dream trio.  It's every bit as awesome as it sounds.



Having learned a great deal about the French New Wave movement within this journey, I was incredibly fascinated by the influence that had on this film.  It has sporadic editing and is essentially plotless.  The enjoyment comes from the characters, atmosphere, music, culture and overall sensations.


It's an illustration of the beauty of the hippie movement as well as its failings.  In that sense, it's the perfect mix of the flowery late 60s and the paranoia of the early 70s.  It's a film that isn't afraid to just tell it as it is.  A massive influence on independent cinema.  I can easily see why this film connected with so many people upon its release.  It makes cruising the country on a motorcycle seem like the coolest thing imaginable; yet it doesn't hold back on showing all kinds of dangerous situations along the way.  People are heavily judgmental towards these hippies and excessive drug use eventually gets to the best of them.   The entire film is very exciting and full of life.  The final ten minutes are absolutely devastating and really left me feeling stunned.   This is certainly an all time favorite of mine. 


Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  The definitive countercultural experience of the late 60s.  Basically pioneered indie filmmaking in America.


My Rating: 10/10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)