#353. The Apartment (1960, Billy Wilder)



Running Time: 125 minutes
Directed By: Billy Wilder
Written By: Billy Wilder, I.A.L. Diamond
Primary Cast: Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurcurry





Summary: A man tries to rise in his company by letting its executives use his apartment for trysts, but complications and a romance of his own ensue.




My Thoughts: This is one of the most perfect films I've ever seen.  I absolutely adore it.  Just one of the most heartfelt and genuine films out there.  I'd always loved it but this viewing particularly struck a chord.  It hits in emotions that remind me of how I feel while listening to The Beach Boy's Pet Sounds (1966).  Being a pretty turbulent and naive personality, CC Baxter is a character I find easy to identify with.  Jack Lemmon is just the best.  It's impossible to not completely feel for him here.  Shirley MacLaine is absolutely adorable as well.


The overall pacing is what really makes this special.  For the first hour, it's a satire, then it turns into a drama and eventually becomes a feel good comedy.  It has that cynical tone Billy Wilder was famous for but with just the right sentimentality that balances things out.  It never feels sappy and predictable.  It's just a very life like film, balancing out humor, sadness, seriousness and plain beauty.  One of my favorite films of all time.


Does It Belong In The Book?: Absolutely.  Maybe the best romantic comedy out there.  Also a great portrayal of the darker side of the whimsical 1950s.


My Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)