#488. Midnight Cowboy (1969, John Schlesinger)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes.

Thoughts Before Viewing: I saw this one back in high school around the time I saw The Graduate (1967).  Re-watching that and loving it made me realize I need to rewatch this as well.




Running Time: 113 minutes
Directed By: John Schlesinger
Written By: Waldo Salt
Primary Cast: Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight, Sylvia Miles


Summary: A naive hustler travels from Texas to New York City to seek personal fortune but, in the process, finds himself a new friend.


My Thoughts: Wow, this is just an incredible film all around.  Along with Easy Rider, I like to see this as a powerful study on the transition from the flower power 60s era to the gritty 70s era.  It's a very sad tale on loss on innocence.  Joe Buck and Ratso have got to be some of the saddest characters in cinema.  The pure sleaziness of New York City in the late 1960s really hits you in the gut.  As mentioned earlier, it foreshadows the grittiness of 70s cinema.  I also can't get enough of the incredible soundtrack this film have.  Very melancholic for the most part.  It has a great use of repeating Harry Nilson's Everybody's Talking.




Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  An early blueprint for gritty 70s cinema.  Although not too shocking by todays standards, it was the first X rated film to win best picture.


My Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)