#191. Stairway To Heaven (A Matter Of Life And Death) (1946, Michael Powell)


Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing: This is one I've wanted to see for a while.  I've heard it deemed the British It's A Wonderful Life (1946).  I really don't know what to expect.




Running Time: 104 minutes
Directed By: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
Written By: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
Primary Cast: David Niven, Kim Hunter, Robert Coote


Summary: A British wartime aviator who cheats death must argue for his life before court.


My Thoughts: I really love the Powell & Pressburger films that I've seen so far.   They have a knack for sweeping grand stories in a rich old fashioned sense.  I particularly enjoyed this one.  It's a remarkably unique film told in a very original manner.  I was especially blown away by the distinct use of technicolor.  You can really sense that they spawn from a time when use of color in film is fresh and new. 


The entire film is just incredibly sweet and lovely.  While I wouldn't put it in the same tier as It's A Wonderful Life (1946), it has a similar mystical life affirming feel.  They would make for a great double feature.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  A lovely life affirming film.  Excellent use of color tone. 


My Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)