Magical Mystery Tour (1967, The Beatles)


As perfect of a psychedelic pop album as one could ask for.  It's essentially Sgt. Peppers Part II.  Even though it's technically more of a compilation album, it still flows as a strong album.  One of my personal favorite Beatles records.  So many of their greatest songs to be found here.


1. Magical Mystery Tour- ****1/2
A groovy way to start the album.  Just love getting lost into this little jam.  Think I love this one even more than the opener for Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.  I especially love the piano outro.


2. The Fool On The Hill- ****1/2
An amazing McCartney song.  Love its whimsical vibe.  Especially that flute solo.


3. Flying- ****
Even though it doesn't really stand out much, it's such a soothing little piece.  This one has really grown on me lately.


4. Blue Jay Way- ****
Probably my least favorite on the album but I still love it.  Even though it isn't one of my favorite George Harrison songs, it's grown on me a bit overtime.  Meanders a little too long but it has an interesting psychedelic vibe.


5. Your Mother Should Know- ****1/2
One of McCartney's granny tunes.  I know some can't stand them but I personally love them.  Just so catchy and an absolute blast.  This one is addicting.


6. I Am The Walrus- *****
One of the greatest John Lennon songs.  Absolute love its nonsensical, yet endlessly intriguing vibe.  Very atmospheric and ahead of its time.


7. Hello Goodbye- *****
Low key one of my all time favorite Beatles songs.  Yeah the lyrics are nonsense but it's one of the catchiest things I've ever heard.  That melody is unbeatable.  Just has all kinds of love and energy to it.


8. Strawberry Fields Forever- *****
Of course, the best song on the album.  An otherworldly ethereal song.  This song never fails to stun me. 


9. Penny Lane- *****
A magical whimsical song.  Hard to not fall in love with this one.


10. Baby, You're A Rich Man- ****1/2
Excellent, underrated tune.  Can't get enough of that bass.


11. All You Need Is Love- *****
One of the ultimate anthems of The Beatles' philosophy on the nature of love.  One of the best tunes of the era.


My Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)