#474. If.... (1968, Lindsay Anderson)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: This is one I haven't seen in a few years.  Been long overdue for a re-watch.  I'm awfully curious about this one.




Running Time: 111 minutes
Directed By: Lindsay Anderson
Written By: David Sherwin
Primary Cast: Malcolm McDowell, David Wood, Richard Warwick


Summary: In this allegorical story, a revolution led by pupil Mick Travis takes place at an old established private school in England.


My Thoughts: This is film I feel like should be one of my all time favorites.  It's a 'rebel against the system' story, features Malcolm McDowell's debut performance and is a definitive countercultural exploration of the late 1960s.  On paper, it's everything I love.  However it's a film I appreciate more than consider a personal favorite.  I somewhat feel this is down to some of the British subtext going over my head. 


Malcolm McDowell is very entertaining here and reminds me a of British Jack Nicholson at times.  It's easy to see why Stanley Kubrick casted him for A Clockwork Orange (1971) based on this performance.  It's a blast watching him rebel against the system.  I also find it fascinating that a film of this nature doesn't feature any rock and roll.  You'd expect to hear some Rolling Stones.  However, it doesn't feature any music aside from classical pieces on occassion.


I think most of what prevents me from loving this is that it just drags at times.  I simply didn't care what was going on at times.  It has an odd Bunuel style at times, where everything feels surreal in a grounded manner.  I don't really have any flaws with it but it just didn't fully click with me as well as most 60s countercultural films do.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  Groundbreaking for its time and cultural impact.  Also the first film to feature full frontal female nudity.


My Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)