#456. The Graduate (1967, Mike Nichols)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: This is one I've been meaning to re-watch for a long time.  Saw it once in high school and I remember loving it.  Feel like it'll resonate more with me now.




Running Time: 106 minutes
Directed By: Mike Nichols
Written By: Calder Willingham, Buck Henry
Primary Cast: Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross


Summary: A disillusioned college graduate finds himself torn between his older lover and her daughter.


My Thoughts: Wow this is fantastic!  Can't believe I'd forgotten about it.  Just such an entertaining coming-of-age film.  There are countless memorable moments found here.  I absolutely love the screenplay and overall pacing, it really felt like a descent into this total mess of a situation.  Dustin Hoffman is fantastic at playing this aimless nervous wreck who gets completely over his head. 

I absolutely love the cinematography style here.  Never flashy, yet plays a huge role in the films overall tone and atmosphere.  Simon & Garfunkel's soundtrack also goes with this film like peanut butter goes with bread.  I couldn't think of a more fitting group to perform these songs. 


Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  Groundbreaking 60s cinema.  Made Dustin Hoffman a star.


My Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)