#375. My Life To Live (1962, Jean-Luc Godard)



Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing: Well being on a French New Wave kick, I figure I will go through Jean-Luc Godard films in chronological order (within the list, that is).  This is one I've been particularly interested in seeing for a while.




Running Time: 85 minutes
Directed By: Jean-Luc Godard
Written By: Jean-Luc Godard
Primary Cast: Anna Karina, Sady Rebbot, Andre S. Labarthe


Summary: 12 episodic tales in the life of a Parisian woman and her descent into prostitution.


My Thoughts: I really didn't enjoy this one as much as I'd hoped.  On paper, this sounds fantastic; a humanist Jean-Luc Godard film.  I love the episodic approach and there were some interested philosophical monologues but it ultimately left me feeling cold and distant.  Despite the short running time, I found this to be quite a chore to sit through.  I was expecting a slow burner descent into prostitution but it just...kind of happened.  I didn't really feel the development. 


I absolutely loved Breathless (1960) but this just bored me.  Shame because it sounds so interesting on paper.  I admire this film from a technical perspective but just got nothing out of it personally.  I have a feeling Jean-Luc Godard is going to be a hit or miss director for me.


Does It Belong In The Book?: I guess.  I can see its influence on indie films to come with its episodic structure.


My Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)