#501. Five Easy Pieces (1970, Bob Rafelson)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: I've only seen this once a few years back.  I honestly don't remember too much about it.  Always exciting seeing one of Jack Nicholson's first performances though.




Running Time: 108 minutes
Directed By: Bob Rafelson
Written By: Carole Eastman
Primary Cast: Jack Nicholson, Karen Black, Billy Green Bush


Summary: A dropout from upper-class America picks up work along the way on oil rigs when his life isn't spent in a squalid succession of bars, motels and other points of interest.


My Thoughts: I really liked this one.  More than the first time I saw it a few years back.  Of course, plenty of its brilliance is credited to Jack Nicholson, who can make just about anything highly entertaining.  Although it's one of his more low key performances, he makes for such a compelling character in the way that only he can.  Here, he plays an aimless man in his 30s who just can't settle down with anything.  He has a stable lifestyle as an oil rig and a girlfriend.  However, he just doesn't want to be tied down. 


Another great example of American New Wave.  Although it didn't blow me away like Easy Rider (1969) and it has slow moments occasionally, the overall rawness of this film won me over enough to consider it a personal favorite.



Does It Belong in The Book?: Yes.  Essential American New Wave.  Jack Nicholson's first big performance.


My Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)