#521. WR: Mysteries Of The Organism (1971, Dusan Makavejev)

Have I Seen It Before?: No



Thoughts Before Viewing: This one sounds like an oddity.  I'm somewhat intrigued based sorely on how strange is sounds.




Running Time: 84 minutes
Directed By: Dusan Makavejev
Written By: Dusan Makavejev
Primary Cast: Milena Dravic, Ivica Vidovic, Jagoda Kaloper


Summary: A homage to the work of psychologist Wilhelm Reich matched with a story involving a Yugoslavian girls affair with a Russian skater.  It's essentially an exploration of sexual repression along with social systems.



My Thoughts: I actually really liked this one.  The only unfortunate aspect of this viewing is that I was unable to track down a version of this with English subtitles.  After searching for a good 30 minutes, I just settled for what I could find (I'm a completist nutcase).  Although I'll admit I had to do some research to understand the context at times, I was still entertained by the visuals.  It has a bizarre kinky approach that I found really enjoyable.  It's an epic exploration of free love with political metaphors thrown into the mix.  If anything, this is a fascinating watch based on how open and frank it is with the subject matter. 



Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  A groundbreaking piece of cinema based sorely on how open and frank it is with the subject matter.  A primary documentation of the sexual revolution.




My Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)