#389. 8 1/2 (1963, Federico Fellini)




Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: This is one of the most universally acclaimed films that I'd always struggled to understand.  For years, I shrugged this off as the epitome of boring European art house cinema.  I just couldn't relate or understand it in the slightest.  However, I'm really looking forward to giving it another chance.  Seeing that I last watched it in 2013, I'm curious to see if five years of personal growth will enhance this viewing.  The thematic content and overall presentation sounds right up my alley.




Running Time: 138 minutes
Directed By: Federico Fellini
Written By: Federico Fellini
Primary Cast: Marcello Mastroianni, Anouk Aimee, Claudia Cardinale


Summary: A harried film director retreats into his memories and fantasies.



My Thoughts: Well, as it happens, this film finally clicked with me.  I absolutely loved it this time around.  Five years can really change the way one sees things.  It taps strongly into that feeling of being so stressed out that one simply has no idea what to do with it but retread into personal fantasies.


It's always interesting to see a directors perspective on filmmaking.  David Lynch explored this in Mulholland Drive (2001) as well as the Coen's with Barton Fink (1991) and Robert Altman with The Player (1992).  Here, Fellini expresses his personal experiences with filmmaking in a surrealistic and dreamlike manner.  It isn't necessarily surreal in a Luis Bunuel or David Lynch manner, seeing that the story itself is actually straightforward, but the surrealism is within the scenes of him retreading into his memories and fantasies.  There are layers of symbolism and striking imagery.  It's easy to see how it was a heavy influence on directors like David Lynch and Terry Gilliam.


What I especially enjoyed is the overall theme this explores.  Which is primarily of an artist descending so far into his personal stress that he becomes detached from his entire purpose as a filmmaker.  He strives to make a film that people can connect with, yet he shrugs everyone off in his personal life.  I can imagine just about any director has struggled with this kind of thing throughout their career.  It's no wonder that the aforementioned directors resonate with this so much.


I also greatly enjoyed the films style.  Some of the finest black and white cinematography I've seen in a long time.  Marcello Mastroianni reeks of cool and it's no wonder Fellini would choose him to portray himself.  I can't wait to explore more Fellini throughout this journey.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Absolutely.  One of the ultimate films about filmmaking


My Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)