#561. Don't Look Now (1973, Nicolas Roeg)




Have I Seen It Before?: No



Thoughts Before Viewing: This is one that I've been wanting to see for a while.  I often see it ranked high on "best horror films" and "best British films".  I'm greatly looking forward to this viewing.







Running Time: 110 minutes
Directed By: Nicolas Roeg
Written By: Daphne Du Maurier, Allan Scott
Primary Cast: Julie Christie, Donald Sutherland, Hilary Mason


Summary: A married couple grieving the recent death of their young daughter are in Venice when they encounter two elderly sisters.  One is a psychic and brings a warning.



My Thoughts: This is an odd film.  My reaction to this was similar to the other Roeg films I've seen.  I was intrigued by the unique approach, yet was scratching my head over what exactly he's going for.  After sitting on it, I must say that this is some fantastic horror.  It has a subtle slow burner vibe that many great horror films have (like Rosemary's Baby (1968) and The Shining (1980).).  There is some memorable dread atmosphere to be found here.  I was somewhat enjoying it upon watching it but it really hit me on a strong note with the ending.  The more I think about it, the more I'm in awe by it.  I think my appreciation for it will only grow on a re-watch.  Can't wait to revisit more Nicolas Roeg on this journey.



Does It Deserve To Be In The Book?: Yes.  A unique and memorable horror film with a distinct atmosphere.



Rating:  9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)