#244. The Bad And The Beautiful (1952)




Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing:  I am heavily intrigued by this one.  Of all the first time viewings I've done on this journey, this is the one I'm anticipating the most.  I'd never heard of it prior to this.  On paper, it sounds like a mix between Citizen Kane (1941) and Ace In The Hole (1951).








Running Time: 118 minutes
Directed By: Vincente Minnelli
Written By: Charles Schnee, George Bradshaw
Primary Cast: Lana Turner, Kirk Douglas, Walter Pidgeon


Summary: A tough and ambitious film producer uses a director, an actress and a writer in order to achieve success.




My Thoughts:  Wow this film is fantastic.  Absolutely underrated.  I can't believe I'd never even heard of it prior to this project.  Kirk Douglas always seems to be great at playing charmingly manipulative characters.  Overall, my favorite aspect of this is the unique format.  It's told in flashback form from the perspective of three different characters.  Basically, it is about film producer Jonathan Shields and why these three people in the film industry hate his guts.  It plays out like three short films rolled into one.  There is a great sense of rising tension within each story.   I'm amazed a film so bitter and cynical towards Hollywood production was even made in this time period.  Time has been incredibly kind to this one.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  Despite all of its oscar nomination at the time, it's tragically underrated nowadays.


My Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)