#537. Aguirre: The Wrath Of God (1972, Werner Herzog)




Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: Oh man, I love this one!  I actually revisited it last summer.  I still want to see it again though.  This is one of those films that keeps improving on re-watches.





Running Time: 95 minutes
Directed By: Werner Herzog
Written By: Werner Herzog
Primary Cast: Klaus Kinski, Ruy Guerra, Helena Rojo


Summary: In the 16th century, the ruthless and insane Don Lope de Aguirre leads a Spanish expedition in search of El Dorado.


My Thoughts: My word, this film is jaw dropping.  Everything about it is just so weird and fascinating.  It's as if it came from another planet.  It's deeply intense and compelling in a unique way.  On this viewing, I found myself particularly compelled by how nature is portrayed.  It's beautiful but in a very different way from, say, Terrence Malick.  This has a special rawness to it.  It exemplifies madness and an ethereal mystique amidst the beauty.


Plenty of the rawness stems from the daredevil duo that is Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski.  Herzog may be the single most insane filmmaker alive.  Talk about someone who isn't afraid to take on a challenge head on.  Just take a look at the behind the scenes stories.  Herzog nearly had Kinski killed by the end of filming.  I can only imagine what torture the set must've been to the cast/crew.


Also, does this not have the coolest opening sequence or what?  It immediately sucks you in with its strong atmosphere.  That soundtrack is so brilliantly haunting.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Absolutely.  This film is a one of a kind beast.  It's unlike anything else.  The ambition and insanity behind it warrants it's place in filmmaking history.




My Rating: 9/10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)