Forever Changes (1967, Love)



A strong contender for my favorite album of all time.  The places this record takes me are absolutely magical and dreamy.  It's one of the most unique and timeless things I've ever heard, yet it's the perfect counterculture album of 1967.  One of the few albums where I find that every single song makes some kind of special impact on me (a few other examples of albums I feel this way about include R.E.M.'s Murmur (1983) and Miles Davis's In A Silent Way (1969)).  To me, this will always be a life affirming masterpiece.



1. Alone Again Or- *****
The most well known song off the album.  Love its unique Spanish influenced vibe.  Has an excellent soul searching vibe.


2. A House Is Not A Motel- *****
A groovy rocker with some great energy.  Unbelievable that Love could create this much energy with an acoustic set.  It's such a rocker.  Especially in the final minute or so.


3. AndMoreAgain- *****
This one just takes me to a dreamy place.  One of my absolute favorites on this perfect album.  Too gorgeous for words.


4. The Daily Planet- *****
This is just psychedelic pop perfection.  Everything magical about the general sound coming from the late 60s.  What a groovy bass line.


5. Old Man- *****
There is something so haunting and beautiful about this one.  The orchestration is absolutely masterful here.


6. The Red Telephone- *****
A stunning track.  This one has a hazy apocalyptic vibe.  It's truly one of the greatest things I've ever heard.  It must be heard to be believed.


7. Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale- *****
Quirky title but this is one of the absolute strongest.  This one takes me to a magical world that I never want to leave.  I'm obsessed with the overall vibe of this song.  I could listen to it all day and never be bored.


8. Live And Let Live- *****
An awesome rocker.  It's so catchy and groovy.  What powerful guitar playing.  It sounds like a cry for freedom.


9. The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This- *****
This song has such a powerful atmosphere to me for some reason.  It sounds so sweetly innocent but there is something subtly dark and haunting going on behind it.  It never fails to give me goosebumps.


10. Bummer In The Summer- *****
Is this the first rap song of all time?  Arthur Lee sings so fast it sounds like he's rapping.  What an awesome and unique groove.


11. You Set The Scene- *****
If I had to compile a list of my all time favorite songs, this would surely make my top 10.  One of the most magical and life affirming things I've ever heard.  Sounds like it takes the melodic approach of every song on this record and make an epic out of it.  It never fails to inspire and evoke pure joy out of me.  Those lyrics speak directly to me.


My Rating: 10/10

One of 3 or 4 albums where I literally give every song a 5/5.  It might seem cheap but I honestly adore every song on here that much.  Loved it since I first heard it in 2013 and it has never lost its magic for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)