#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes





Running Time: 149 minutes
Directed By: Stanley Kubrick
Written By: Stanley Kubrick
Primary Cast: Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester


Summary: Humanity finds a mysterious, obviously artificial object buried beneath the Lunar surface and, with the intelligent computer HAL 9000, sets off on a quest.



My Thoughts: Oh my, where do I even begin with my favorite film of all time?  It's so epic and massive that it's overwhelming to even write about it.  It's a film that will mean something slightly different to just about everyone who watches it.  Even my interpretation of it changes with time.  I feel that a film that has the power to grow up with a person is the sign of an all time masterwork. 


This is just an insane achievement on every level.  How this was made in 1968 is unfathomable.  The filmmaking technique still seems futuristic by todays standards.  There simply isn't another film like it.  This is a film that's meant to be contemplated and feel awe inspired.  I love and cherish every second of this slow burner.   It's simply a beautiful, terrifying and deeply spiritual experience all at once.  It is a film that will forever be on my bucket list to experience on a 70mm theater. 



Does It Belong In The Book?: Absolutely.  I think it's the greatest, most inspiring cinematic achievement of all time.


My Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)