#981. Boyhood (2014, Richard Linklater)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes




Running Time: 165 minutes
Directed By: Richard Linklater
Written By: Richard Linklater
Primary Cast: Ellar Coltrane, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke


Summary: The life of Mason, from early childhood to his arrival at college.


My Thoughts: This is one of my all time favorite films.  Truly a special one of a kind cinematic experience that I hold dearly.  This is the kind of film I just love coming back to every few years or so.  It never fails to move me deeply.  It's full of endless warmth, joy, reflection, honesty and depth.  Simply the greatest coming of age film I've ever seen.  It brings me so much joy to know a film this good exists that explores childhood all throughout the 2000's (I'm a few years older than Mason, so I naturally connect with being a child in this time period). 


What really struck me on this viewing is how it isn't characters themselves are that makes this film work so well.  I feel that there is actually somewhat of a detachment from the characters.  This is an observation of the entire experience of growing up (as well as parenthood).  With this kind of film, one is able to connect their own memories with the events that occur on screen.  Even if they aren't exactly how they are on here, this manages to tap into something universal.  It explores all kinds of scenarios; some happy, some sad, some random, plenty boring.  Yet those memories are what make us who we are.  That's what this film is ultimately about to me.  It isn't sappy or overly sentimental in the slightest, it's just a pure and honest exploration on growing up. 


This is the film Richard Linklater spent his entire career working up to.  It's an epic, yet intimate exploration on the passing of time, memories and human interaction.  It's a film that makes me reflect, feel warmth and makes me feel inspired.  Just like there are so many incredible films that help me understand what it was like to live in previous decades, this is one I'll always have to express the period I grew up in.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes absolutely.  The ultimate coming of age experience.  Also groundbreaking in that it took 12 years to film.


My Rating: 10/10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)