#258. Ugetsu (1953, Kenji Mizoguchi)



Have I Seen It Before?: No




Running Time: 96 minutes
Directed By: Kenji Mizoguchi
Written By: Matsutaro Kawaguchi
Primary Cast: Masayuki Mori, Machiko Kyo, Kinuyo Tanaka


Summary: A tale of ambition, family, love and war set in the midst of the Japanese Civil Wars of the sixteenth century.


My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this one!  Glad I went into it without knowing anything about it.  It's essentially a morality tale on the consequences of choosing greed over family.  The most notable aspect of this film is the excellent cinematography.  It truly gave the film a uniquely mystical air, which really kept me captivated. 


Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes.  An excellent morality tale with a magical cinematography approach.


My Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)