#509. Zabriskie Point (1970, Michelangelo Antonioni)



Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing: This is one I've been intrigued by every since I've heard about it.  I'm always fascinated to see a European director take on Americana.  This one seems really unique.




Running Time: 113 minutes
Directed By: Michelangelo Antonioni
Written By: Michelangelo Antonioni
Primary Cast: Mark Frechette, Daria Halprin, Paul Fix



Summary: Two strangers begin a romance at Zabriskie Point, the lowest point in the United States.  One is an undergraduate dreamer and the other is a hippie.



My Thoughts: Wow I thought this was absolutely fantastic.  A forgotten American classic for sure.  It's one of those films that people either love or hate.  I love it.  I won't deny that it's inconsistent at times but its fantastic atmosphere and in depth study of late 60s culture are all way too good.


Between this and Blowup (1966), I really like Antonioni's aesthetic approach.  His films are slow as molasses, yet deeply compelling.  He focuses purely on following characters around in a detached manner.  This has a special way of putting you in the moment.  With its unique use of wide lens shots, it's a cinematography haven.  Even though it's a relatively low key film, it's directed like a massive David Lean epic.  The nature shots are particularly stunning.  It's also worth mentioning that the soundtrack is absolutely awesome, particularly the obscure Pink Floyd.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Absolutely.  Tragically under-seen and under-appreciated.  An essential exploration of late 60s culture.



My Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)