#419. The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg (1964)




Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing: Goodness I couldn't be more stoked about this one.  I've fallen head over heels for Jacques Demy's The Young Girls Of Rochefort (1967) and am absolutely craving more by him.   I hear this is the most similar in vibe to that one, although this one supposedly has more of a melancholic touch.   Just the idea of seeing more Jacques Demy/Catherine Deneuve alone sounds like pure bliss.






Running Time: 91 minutes
Directed By: Jacques Demy
Written By: Jacques Demy
Primary Cast: Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo, Anne Vernon



Summary: A young woman separated from her lover by war faces a life-altering decision.


My Thoughts: This is a fantastic experience.  The color schemes and costume design absolutely mesmerize me.  Although the story is basically a teen romance and the characters aren't the most three-dimensional, none of that matters in Jacques Demy's world.  It's all about the tender emotions and overwhelming color schemes.

As much love as I have for this, I'll admit that I found this to be a lesser work compared to the pure exuberance of The Young Girls Of Rochefort (1967).  Young Girls set the bar so high that any musical that isn't Singin' In The Rain (1952) seems underwhelming by comparison.  I also didn't find the music anywhere near as memorable.  The melancholic approach works wonderfully here but I think I prefer Demy with a non-stop upbeat atmosphere.

I really hate to sound negative towards this because I really did adore it.  Basically, the fact that it isn't Demy's best film is all that I'm complaining about here.  And really, is that even a complaint?  Jacques Demy's colorful vision combined with Catherine Deneuve's timeless beauty is a winner by default in my eyes.  This is an epic exploration of pure naive joy and melancholy that could only come out of the 1960s.  This is a beautiful film and I cannot wait to dive into it again.



Edit: Just re-watched it.  Who am I kidding, this is a personal favorite.  Demy films have a way of growing on me as time passes.



Does It Deserve To Be In The Book?: Yes.  A perfect example of a French New Wave director with an endless love for American musicals redefining the genre.


Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)