#222. The Asphalt Jungle (1950, John Huston)




Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing: I've wanted to see this one for a while.  Mostly down to the fact I really like the two John Huston films I've seen (The Maltese Falcon (1941) and especially The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (1948).).






Running Time: 112 minutes
Directed By: John Huston
Written By: Ben Maddow, John Huston
Primary Cast: Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, Jean Hagen


Summary: A major heist goes off as planned until bad luck and double crosses cause everything to unravel.


My Thoughts: I wasn't blown away by this but I still enjoyed it greatly.  It is great fun diving into the ensemble cast and overall heist atmosphere.  John Huston generally made fascinating explorations on greed.  Out of the Huston films I've seen, none have impressed me as much as The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (1948).  I had a great time watching it once but I don't see myself ever wanting to revisit it.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Absolutely.  It's an essential heist film.


My Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)