#243. Singin' In The Rain (1952)




Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing: I absolutely adore this film.  I've actually only seen it once, back when I was a senior in high school.  After watching Young Girls Of Rochefort (1967) the other day, I am especially in the spirit to re-watch the ultimate musical of classic Hollywood.








Running Time: 103 minutes
Directed By: Stanley Donan, Gene Kelly
Written By: Betty Comden, Adolph Green
Primary Cast: Gene Kelly, Donald O. Connor, Debbie Reynolds



Summary: In 1927, Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont are adored silent film actors.  Offscreen, Don is aided by his best friend Cosmo Brown.  Don is constantly avoiding romantic gestures from Lina, especially as he is falling in love with chorus girl Kathy Selden.  Meanwhile, the silent film studio Lockwood and Lamont work for has a difficult time transitioning to sound in motion pictures.





My Thoughts: Oh man, I was absolutely blown away on this viewing.  I can't believe I'd forgotten about it after seeing it in high school.  The film is just absolute perfection at what it's striving to be.  It gives a sensation of pure cinematic joy that very few films successfully achieve.  It's a love letter to musicals and film itself.  You can't help but feel head over heels while watching this.  The choreography is still mind boggling today.  I can't even fathom some of these numbers; I mean, have you seen the choreography for "Make Em Laugh"??  That one in particular blows my mind.  They all do, really.


This is the greatest musical I've ever seen.  I can't imagine any others topping this in pure exuberance and spirit.  It's an absolute success at maintaining strong momentum and a joyful spirit from start to finish.  It's endlessly entertaining.   I can't think of any other way this could be improved.  Sure you could argue a few of these numbers go on too long but when they're this awesome, do you really care?  Because I sure don't.  Gene Kelly and Stanley Donan are legends for this one.



Does It Belong In The Book?:  Yes absolutely!!  This is essential viewing.  If you can only watch one musical in your life, it must be this one.  It defines old school Hollywood exuberance at its best.



My Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)