#394. The House Is Black (1963, Forugh Farrokhzad)



Thoughts Before Viewing: I have no idea what I'm in store for here.  Seeing how short it is, I'm curious to see how much this can do within a 20 minute running time.





Running Time: 20 minutes
Directed By: Forugh Farrokhzad
Written By: Forugh Farrokhzad
Primary Cast: Forugh Farrokhzad, Ebrahim Golestan, Hossein Mansouri


Summary: Set in a leper colony in the north of Iran, it is a juxtaposition of "ugliness" portrayed with religion and gratitude.


My Thoughts: This is a powerful little piece of poetic cinema.  I deeply admire what this film is doing, which is to humanize a leper colony.  The manner in which this documentary approaches the matter allows us to see that they are more than just suffering.  We see them praying, and thanking God for the life they have been provided as well as enjoying the little pleasures of their life.  It's a raw piece of cinema with a strong amount of pity and beauty behind it.  This is a fascinating piece and I'm glad it exists.



Does It Belong In The Book?: Yes. A powerful piece of Iranian New Wave cinema.


My Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)