#458. The Young Girls Of Rochefort (1967)



Have I Seen It Before?: Yes


Thoughts Before Viewing:  I actually saw this for the first time a few weeks ago.  I absolutely adored it.  One of the most all around joyful and fun films I've ever seen.  I'm greatly looking forward to diving into this magical world again!






Running Time: 125 minutes
Directed By: Jacques Demy
Written By: Jacques Demy
Primary Cast: Catherine Denevue, George Chakiris, Francoise Dorleac



Summary: Two sisters who live in Rochefort are seeking romance.  One falls for an American musician while the other is searching for her partner.



My Thoughts:  Well I absolutely adored this film, yet again.  Simply one of the most purely exuberant and colorful films I've ever seen.  Jacques Demy claimed it as "a film whose scenario is much less important than its feeling of euphony."  I can absolutely see where he is coming from with that statement.  The film doesn't really have much of a plot.  The enjoyment of this film is all in the toe tapping music, vibrant colors and feelings of pure joy.  I love it.  Really makes me stoked to explore more musicals throughout this journey (I must admit that I haven't seen too many).


Edit: After sitting on this latest viewing for a few days, I personally think this is one of my all time favorite films.  I find it deeply impactful in its pure joy and exuberance.  Pure eye and ear candy.  This film is a rare beauty. I must dive into more Jacques Demy.



Do I Think It Belongs In The Book?:  Absolutely.  It one of the definitive American influenced French musicals.



My Rating: 10/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)