#714 The Killing Fields (1984)



Have I Seen It Before?: No



Thoughts Before Viewing: I honestly don't really know what to expect with this one.  This is one of those titles I've always heard about yet never knew what it's about.  I'm going into this one blind.







Running Time: 141 minutes
Directed By: Roland Joffe
Written By: Bruce Robinson
Primary Cast: Sam Waterston, Haing S. Ngor, John Malcovich


Summary: Sydney Schangberg is a New York Times journalist covering the civil war in Cambodia with local journalist Dith Pran.  Together, they cover the madness and tragedy of the war.  As the American forces leave, Pran sends his family with them but decides to stay behind to help Schangberg cover the event.  As the Khmer Rouge are moving in, Schangberg won't have any issues leaving (since he is American) but it's a different situation for Pran.





My Thoughts:  This was very good.  Part of me was expecting something oscar bait but it really isn't at all.  It is a passionate and sincere piece of filmmaking.  The approach didn't feel like as much like a hero's journey but more like sensible people doing the best they can amidst the madness surrounding them. I never knew anything about the Cambodian civil war prior to viewing, so that alone made this an insightful viewing for me.  I especially appreciate how the film primarily revolves around the bond of the two journalist, giving it a humanistic approach.



As for flaws, the biggest issue I have with it is uneven pacing.  Although it is an engaging film and I loved its two act structure, I felt there were moments where it lacked a bit of momentum when it could've been strong.   On the contrary, I found it to be rushed at times, particularly in the final 10 minutes.  Although there is an undeniable emotional impact, I felt that it could've hit harder had the build up been drawn out a bit more.   Overall, this is a deeply impactful film.  This is clearly a passion project and I greatly admire all that went into making this.




Do I Believe That It Belongs In The Book?: Yes.  An underrated and intriguing humanist war film that gives great insight to the Cambodian civil war in the early-mid 70s.




My Rating: 7/10









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)