#736: She's Gotta Have It (1986)



Have I Seen It Before?: No


Thoughts Before Viewing:  I'm feeling pretty indifferent on this one.  The only Spike Lee films I've seen are Do The Right Thing (1989) and 25th Hour (2002), both of which I thought were fantastic.  The synopsis doesn't sound too appealing but I could potentially see it having a fun indie charm.  Also intrigued by the fact this is Spike Lee's debut film.






Running Time: 84 minutes
Directed By: Spike Lee
Written By: Spike Lee
Primary Cast: Tracy Camilia Johns, Tommy Redmond Hicks, John Canada Terrell, Spike Lee

Summary: Nola Darling is having sexual relationships with three different men.  All three men want her to commit sorely to her.  Nola resists being owned by a single partner.



My Thoughts: Surprisingly enough, I really enjoyed this one.  The story doesn't sound remotely interesting on paper but it is presented in a creative enough manner to be watchable.  This reminded me an awful lot of Martin Scorsese's Who's That Knocking At Front Door (1967) in the sense that it is an amateur film from a giant on the rise.  I thought it was great fun watching Nola bounce around these three quirk-ball characters.  The New York atmosphere is also a key component to its unique vibe.   The biggest complaints I have are that the editing and screenplay are clearly amateur.  It's obvious that Lee was still figuring out how to articulate his unique voice.  It does lose a bit of steam in the final act.  However, there is enough style and good characters to remain immersive throughout.  Overall, a strong debut.




Do I Believe That It Belongs In The Book?:  Yes.  It features the blueprints for many indie films to come.  Spike Lee laid down the foundations he would perfect with Do The Right Thing (1989).



My Rating: 7/10














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#479. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

The List (In Order Of Viewing)

Pink Moon (1972)